Sunday, November 22, 2009

Wicket (Not the Ewok)

This week in software engineering (TWISE?), we were tasked with creating a web application that displays carbon data from WattDepot. I do some Rails programming, so this should be easy right? Wait, we have to use Java? Well I have some experience in Tomcat, JSP, and some JSF. Wait, Apache Wicket? Well, if it's a web framework, maybe it's like the others I've used. But as I quickly found out, it is quite different.

As a little background, I'm quite comfortable working with Javascript and HTML. I know my way around the Prototype and Scriptaculous libraries and wrote a simple web application that uses just HTML and Javascript. I think that HTML and Javascript go together almost as much as HTML/CSS. If you're a web designer, you need HTML and CSS. If you're a web programmer, you need HTML and Javascript.

So Dean, Aaron, Yichi, and I were tasked with making our web app E hoʻomaluō (means "to conserve" in Hawaiian). And we wanted to make a cool Web 2.0 application with all the bells and whistles. And I think we're mostly there with some small caveats. But the most difficult thing I had to get used to was creating this AJAX web app without writing a single line of Javascript. I think a Wicket method took a Javascript event handler as a parameter (i.e. onchange or onblur) and that was the closest I got to Javascript.

I have to give props to what Wicket does. They totally took out the code from the HTML file (Javascript, JSP tags, etc) and abstracted it out to Java. My Index.html file reflects this. This is an AJAX application without any Javascript in the HTML file. There are additional HTML ids that correspond to Wicket identifiers, but that's it. This is in stark contrast to Rails (with RHTML tags), PHP, and JSP.

So as you might imagine, I was a little bit confused at first. I knew what I wanted to do in Javascript terms (on submit, update this div, assign classes to the tags so that the CSS can do its stuff, etc). I just had to figure out how it worked in Wicket. And as Yichi can attest to, it was a source of frustration.

But in the end, the application was completed. Since Dean was off island, he took care of some administrative tasks (setting up the Google Code project, Hackystat, and doing some documentation). Yichi worked on the class that gets the carbon content from WattDepot. Aaron and I joined forces to take on Wicket. Both of us had annoying issues (Wicket and non-Wicket related), but I think we worked through it quite well. For the most part, we met during the week briefly to catch up on what each other has been doing. Dean has also been in contact with us through email. He mentioned that he'd be without a reliable internet connection, but he got a lot more done than I thought he would.


Here's our Software ICU data. Unfortunately, our coverage isn't quite as good as I'd like. The fact that our application is all AJAX makes testing slightly more difficult. There are WicketTester methods to deal with it and Aaron is looking into it as I write this entry.



You can download the source and the executable for E hoʻomaluō here. Consult the user guide and the developer guide for setting up the application.

No comments:

Post a Comment